Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cooking up a mess...

When my mother referred to the clerk at the package store as her friend, two bottles of Pinot in hand, and a huge smile across her face, I began to realize my moving back home after college was affecting her.

Both my parents started to get sick of coming home from their full-time jobs around dinner time to find me sprawled around the living room watching taped episodes of the latest Real Housewives (of any city...I don't discriminate) and complaining "WHATS FOR DINNNERRRRRRR," around the third week of September. 

To make sure I continued my rent free living, I offered my cooking services to the fam.  Last Wednesday's menu included a skillet dinner of chicken, rice, cheese, tomato and then I piled it all on top of tortillas.  Lesson learned: When you add more rice to the recipe, maybe you should add more of something else too so it doesn't turn into a meal of pure rice.

When Friday rolled around, I thought I would try my hand in the kitchen once again and forced my beautiful family into another carbohydrate coma, this time with a pasta dish that included chicken (again...whatever), peppers, pasta (again...whatever) and Philly Cooking Creme. 
Lesson learned: When the recipe calls for 2 cups pasta, you can't add one pound of pasta without throwing something off.

My 17-year-old sister was home from college for Friday's meal and was quick to suggest another go round the university circuit....this time at Johnson and Wales. 

I really hope my future husband likes at least one of the following meals: eggs and toast, frozen tortellini, or chicken on the George Foreman...because these are the only dishes I can cook with confidence I have recently come to realize.  At least I can strike CHEF off my possible career paths now so maybe this past week was a blessing from a higher being!

As we speak, a jar of sauce is on the stove, some frozen torts are boiling away and I just pulled some freshly baked (frozen, breakable) chocolate chip cookies out of the oven. Bon Appetit! 


Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment